When we ask couples who are preparing for marriage, “Why do you want to get married in the Catholic Church?” sometimes the answers include…. “It is a family tradition”, or … “it is the right thing to do”, or “our family expects it”.
But there are deeper, more profound reasons that will help you answer why is it important for Catholics to be married in the Catholic Church?:
Helps Us Fulfill Our Baptismal Promises
Getting married in the Catholic Church helps us to fulfill our Baptismal Promises. These are those promises that our parents and godparents did for us before God in our Baptism and that later in our life were renewed by us when we celebrated the sacrament of Confirmation.
Gives Us Graces
Getting married in the Catholic Church gives us graces. First there is an increase in Sanctifying Grace, which makes the couple spiritually stronger. Also the couple receive Sacramental Grace of Matrimony, which:
- Perfects the natural love of husband and wife;
- Elevates this love to a supernatural level which far surpasses mere mental and physical compatibility.
- Gives to marital love a sanctifying quality, making it an instrument for growth in holiness and marriage a path to sainthood.
- Imparts conscientiousness in the begetting and rearing of children.
- Gives prudence in the innumerable problems consequent upon family life.
- Enables husband and wife to adjust to one another’s shortcomings and to bear with one another’s faults.
Creates A Bond Between the Spouses
Getting married in the church, creates a bond between the spouses, “From a valid marriage arises a bond between the spouses which by its very nature is perpetual and exclusive; furthermore, in a Christian marriage the spouses are strengthened and, as it were, consecrated for the duties and the dignity of their state by a special sacrament.” (CCC1638) So we can say that there is a special strength that is created when a couple gets married in the Catholic Church.
These are only a few of the many reasons why it is important for Catholics to get married in the Catholic Church. We hope that through the preparation for marriage and in your married life you will discover the great benefits that this Sacrament will bring to your union.